MB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Mega Headbangers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Simian King
Bob the Builder
Bob the Builder

Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Vide
PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 1:45 pm

Ganon1998 wrote:
Simian King wrote:
Ganon is giving play by play for a Dream Theater album :O Awesome
I do that a lot because not many people post, so I have to edit my post to avoid double or triple posting.
And then my post ends up being massive.

We don't care much about double and triple posts here, but I like the play by play so just keep doing it
Back to top Go down
JohnnyboySP
Sea Monkey Drone

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 2:36 pm

Simian King wrote:
Ganon1998 wrote:
Simian King wrote:
Ganon is giving play by play for a Dream Theater album :O Awesome
I do that a lot because not many people post, so I have to edit my post to avoid double or triple posting.
And then my post ends up being massive.

We don't care much about double and triple posts here, but I like the play by play so just keep doing it

*Imagines Ganon being a football style commentator for music albums*
I\'m happy
Back to top Go down
Ganon1998
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Ganon1998

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 5:32 pm

Listening to Dream Theater's Train of Thought now.

Where has the song As I Am been all my life?
Holy crap is this song awesome. Easily one of my favorite (if not my favorite) DT songs.
Just sounds so cool and heavy.

Towards the end of This Dying Soul it sounds like Dream Theater took their favorite Metallica and Megadeth songs and just played those. Lol.
Jame's LaBrie's vocal delivery towards the end at one point sounds exactly like James Hetfield's in Blackend's chorus, and a second of the instrumentation towards the end sounds like a Megadeth song. Either Rust In Peace... Polaris or Hangar 18.

Dream Theater sometimes likes to take another band's song and make a song just like that, huh?
I mean, Never Enough from Octavarium is basically the poor man's Stockholm Syndrome (Muse song). lol.

Endless Sacrifice is freaking awesome.
Why have I never listened to Train of Thought before? Seriously. I've been missing out this whole time and no one told me how awesome this album was.
I'm sitting there clueless and you guys are just laughing at me.

*sob*

Lol rapping LaBrie on Honor Thy Father.
You know, rapping LaBrie doesn't sound as bad as you think it would.

Stream of Consciousness is a really, really, (seriously, I can't stress this enough), REALLY good instrumental.
God damn, as long as the last song doesn't blow, this album is DT's best (which blows my mind considering I think Metropolis Pt. 2 is a masterpiece), even with LaBrie's rapping (which, again, was only one tiny section and wasn't that bad considering how bad it sounds).
Lol rapping LaBrie on Honor Thy Father.
You know, rapping LaBrie doesn't sound as bad as you think it would.

Last edited by Ganon1998 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:23 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ganon1998
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Ganon1998

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 11:07 pm

So I guess I decided I hate myself because I started listening to the new Morbid Angel album (and I'm going to listen to the whole thing).
First "song" was alright, but first song "proper" is awful.

The bass drum is irritating, the riff is awful.
It basically sounds like a REALLY bad Rammstein song.
Also, it's called "Too Extreme" except I could think of a million more songs that are more "extreme" than it.

I got another ten or so songs to go.
God damn.

Every fiber of my being is telling me to turn this album off. But I won't. Because I guess I'm a glutton for punishment or something.
I mean, some of the straight death metal songs aren't terribly bad, but they aren't even close to good.
But when the band deviates from their death metal sound, it's nothing short of horrifyingly bad.

One more song... it's almost over. D:
Seriously. This is the worst album I've listened to this year. I mean, it's got no competition so far because I've only listened to albums I've liked, but still.
And it's only going to get worse when I listen to the new Trivium and Reedtallica albums.

Final verdict:
The industrial songs are beyond awful, and the death metal songs aren't much better.
At least the death metal songs are listenable though, even if they suck.
There's not much here to really say is good. MAYBE the solos, or maybe that's just me trying my hardest to find something enjoyable about this album.

Final verdict on Trivium's In Waves:
Irritating in the worst sense of the word. There is nothing redeeming about this album.
The lyrics are inane (and sometimes lacking coherence either as a sentence or in meaning) , the singing is annoying (the singer is either in whiny or shitty James Hetfield-ah mode. And if not those two, incredibly one dimensional growling), and the actual music elicits no emotional response whatsoever.
Furthermore, the album is way too overproduced to the point where the overdubbing of different vocal tracks makes the singer sound annoyingly autotuned.
There is literally nothing good I can say about this album.
Back to top Go down
Geo Geo Gep Gep
Bacon Bandit
Bacon Bandit

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 3:38 am

Alive 2007 could possibly the greatest live album ever.
Back to top Go down
Simian King
Bob the Builder
Bob the Builder
Simian King

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 2:47 pm

I'm interested in Train of Thought now Can\\'t Believe it Sound great

Anyways, I listened to some of Axl Rose and Friends from Rock In Rio. At some times I'm like "Its alright", and then at other times, usually when the guitarists mess up a solo, I go "WHERE IS SLASH RAAAAAGE Y-U-No" Axl's singing isn't really good, but I didn't really expect it to be great. Sounds as whiny as ever though

I haven't listened to a lot of it, just Welcome to the Jungle and Paradise City. They'll probably play the Chinese Democracy songs better.
Back to top Go down
Geo Geo Gep Gep
Bacon Bandit
Bacon Bandit

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 2:56 pm

Can't be as bad as when I saw Deep Purple and Steve Morse didn't play a single Blackmore solo.

Blackmore has some of the greatest solos ever. Why would you not play them?
Back to top Go down
Simian King
Bob the Builder
Bob the Builder
Simian King

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 3:02 pm

Geo Geo Gep Gep wrote:
Can't be as bad as when I saw Deep Purple and Steve Morse didn't play a single Blackmore solo.

Blackmore has some of the greatest solos ever. Why would you not play them?

This is a terrible sin dislike
Back to top Go down
Ganon1998
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Ganon1998

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 6:05 pm

The opening to Machine Head's song I Am Hell sounds like Queen's The Prophets Song.

Not amused

Kinda sounds like MH trying to recreate Aethetics of Hate, but I Am Hell is nowhere near as good.
At least this isn't pissing me off like. Trivium does. At the very least, the thrash sound doesn't sound shoehorned in like Trivium does.
Lyrics are still seem like your generic metalcore schlock.

I mean, I can't take lyrics like this seriously:

"Where once a heart was beating
Nothing but embers glow
Our love it serves as kindling
To stoke this flames inferno"

Or:

"In this struggle
Are we dead or alive?
Freedom is not existence
It's why we survive
Shake our grief
Hold on to belief
It can't enslave us forever
There is relief"

I mean, I really hate these all inclusive lyrics trying to act like the fans are part of the "group".
No. I don't feel like that. There are better ways to get me to sympathize with your situation than trying to say that I, as the listener, am in the same situation as you.
It's the reason Muse's latest albums sucks.
It just comes off as a whiny attempt at trying to start some sort of "movement".

Wonder what Gep thinks of this album, because I'm pretty sure he like Machine Head.
Personally, I think Machine Head are what would happen if Trivium were halfway decent at writing a song.
And even then, Unto the Locust isn't a very good album. I'd find it hard to give it anything more than a 4 or 5 out of 10.

I mean, if you want to see a microcosm of everything wrong with this album and metalcore in general, just listen to the last song, Who We Are.
It's embarrassing to know that a 43 year old wrote lyrics that usually come out of the mouths of 16 year olds. Grow up dude.
Back to top Go down
Ganon1998
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Ganon1998

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 12:21 am

Just saw Explosions in the Sky with Wye Oak as opener.
Freaking amazing concert. Dunno if I'd say it was the best concert I've been to (although with how bad Trivium played in front of Dream Theater, I'd seriously consider it).
Wye Oak was awesome as the opener. They really stood out for me, even in front of an absolutely fantastic Explosions in the Sky.

Definitely go see either of them if you have the chance.
Back to top Go down
Geo Geo Gep Gep
Bacon Bandit
Bacon Bandit

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 5:03 am

I liked a Machine Head album a lot, The Blackening.

The rest of their stuff was pretty bad though, so I didn't keep track of them.
Back to top Go down
Ganon1998
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Ganon1998

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 2:39 pm

Gep, this guy has the new Skeletonwitch uploaded to his youtube profile.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ixLeviathan
Back to top Go down
Geo Geo Gep Gep
Bacon Bandit
Bacon Bandit

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 2:40 pm

:V

Will get to it after I listen to the entire Discography of Umphrey's Mcgee.

And I will get to that after I keep listening to Alive 2007 over and over again.
Back to top Go down
Ganon1998
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Ganon1998

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 3:03 pm

It's freaking amazing so far. :U
Although that's to be expected from Skeletonwitch.

These guys continue to prove they can come up with riffs in their sleep.

OMG THE OPENING BASS IN CLEAVER OF SOULS

Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Face-melt

^^^^^^
Me

So yeah Forever Abomination is really good.
Time to listen to the new Primus. :U

MORE ON TV
THERE'S GOTTA BE
MORE ON TV
THERE'S GOTTA BE
MORE ON TV
THAN JUST
MORON TV

Lol

Pretty good album so far.
As long as they stay away from that late 80's/early 90's funk sound, it's really good.
I'm not big on funk, so if it has a darker or more modern sound, I'm more likely to enjoy it.
Or sometimes Primus'll get this kinda swampy funk sound that's really cool, usually when the songs about fishing like with Last Salmon Man or Fish On.
Back to top Go down
Ganon1998
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Ganon1998

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 5:03 pm

Listening to new Protest the Hero.
Still don't like the singer and why's he trying to sound like Matthew Bellamy? Not amused
I mean, he's a good singer, but something about him just kinda annoys me.
I think it's a combination between how he sounds and his delivery of the lyrics, which is basically the same thing every song.

I will say this, the stuff from this album so far is better than what I've heard from them previously.
Not bad as far as the music itself is concerned. It kinda comes off as a bit of technical wankery personally, which is a problem I had with The Mars Volta when I tried to listen to their first album, but The Mars Volta was FAR worse in that regard.

Lyrics I don't really care about as far as this album is concerned.
Everytime I look and try to follow along with the lyrics, they don't hold my attention well, whether they are bad or not.
They're just... there.
Like I said though, I don't like the singer.

Overall they just sound like a much heavier The Fall of Troy as far as this album is concerned, although I prefer TFoT.
I never got why you (Gep) said they sounded like TFoT, but with this album, I'm getting it.
And since when do they employ clean vocals? I've only listened to a few songs from them, but this is new.

Yeah, was an alright album.
I don't like the singer and I never will, but the music was solid if a little indulgent (actually a lot).
Wouldn't be an album I'd go back to after this, but I guess it was worth the listen.

I'M ON AN ALBUM LISTENING ROLL TODAY
Listening to Between the Buried and Me's The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues.

Dude. BtBaM completely ripped a guitar flourish/section from Triumph's song Fight the Good Fight for their song Specular Reflection.
Not cool.

Back to top Go down
Geo Geo Gep Gep
Bacon Bandit
Bacon Bandit

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 6:39 pm

They always employed a lot of clean vocals, often multitracked with gritty vocals.

Their first album was mostly clean vocals, but it was also much more "hardcore".

Back to top Go down
Ganon1998
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Ganon1998

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 6:48 pm

Oh.
Still don't like the harsh vocals from BtBaM.
I'm liking the experimental sections of the songs with stuff that kinda resembles Diablo Swing Orchestra (if I had to compare it to something).
Still pissed that they ripped off Triumph though. I hate it

All and all though, decent EP so far.
Only problems with it for me is my hang up with the singer.

Intro to Lunar Wilderness is pretty sweet. :U
Scratch that, Lunar Wilderness is pretty sweet overall.

Still gotta listen to like at least 19 more albums from this year. .-.
Maybe some more if I decide to add them to my list.
The one I'm dreading the most is Metallica/Lou Reed's Lulu and Lady Gaga's Born This Way.

Last edited by Ganon1998 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Geo Geo Gep Gep
Bacon Bandit
Bacon Bandit

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 6:57 pm

Oh whoa, you changed to BtBaM, I didn't notice, I was talking about PtH.

But what I said is still true.
Back to top Go down
Ganon1998
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Ganon1998

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 7:01 pm

Geo Geo Gep Gep wrote:
Oh whoa, you changed to BtBaM, I didn't notice, I was talking about PtH.

But what I said is still true.
Olol yeah.
I decided I am going to do a listing from worst to best of all the albums I listened to this year, so I went through Wikipedia's list of albums released this year and picked out all the albums I feel I "should" listen to given my tastes and what I've listened to before (even if it was just a song or two from that band).

Reason I subjected myself to bands like Trivium. Because I happened to see them open for Dream Theater.
Didn't really need to listen to In Waves to know it is one of the worst albums this year, but still.

I mean, I could just listen to stuff I'm interested in listening to, but then my "worst" album would be RHCP's I'm With You or Gorillaz' The Fall, both of which I thought were pretty alright.
That and doing a listing of only like 20 albums isn't really cool.
Back to top Go down
Geo Geo Gep Gep
Bacon Bandit
Bacon Bandit

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 7:30 pm

Listening to Anchor Drops by Umphrey's McGee.

What the aborted son of a sea monkey am I listening to and why is it better than everything ever.
Back to top Go down
Ganon1998
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Ganon1998

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 8:01 pm

Alrighty, time to listen to a great album.
Tombs' Path of Totality.

Have tried listening to it before, but never got much past the first few songs because I wasn't in the mood.
This time, I'm ready, and it's kicking quack my stingray bloo so far. >I

Really good album. Definitely recommend it.

*looks at list of albums I want to listen to*

It's going to be a long slog through the 27 albums I still want to listen to.
I've just listened to today:

Path of Totality - Tombs
Green Naugahyde - Primus
Scurrilous - Protest the Hero
The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues - BtBaM
Forever Abomination - Skeletonwitch

And I might listen to one or two more.
OR MAYBE THREE.
Haven't really burned out yet on listening to albums, which is weird.
I'm keeping the styles pretty fresh. Listen to a prog metal album (BtBaM) then some alt funk (Primus) and then maybe post/sludge/black metal (Tombs).
It's not like that day or few days where I listened to nothing but Opeth and got burned out pretty hard.

Never mind, lol.
Just added the new Animals as Leaders and Beirut to albums I need to listen to.
Back to top Go down
Ganon1998
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Ganon1998

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 10:41 pm

Listening to Autopsy's newest album (after like a 15 year breakup) Macabre Eternal.
Went into it thinking I wouldn't like it. Not a fan of death metal (if I listen to death metal, it has to be either of the tech, prog, or avant-garde varieties), but this album is surprising the hell out of me.

The riffs are great, and even at an average song length of like fiveish minutes (some getting into the range of 6 minutes and one song is 11 minutes long), the songs never outstay their welcome. Vocals are pretty cool as far as death metal goes, although sometimes the vocalist can't seem to really decide on how he wants his death growls to sound. One song every line was him changing the style of death growl which annoyed me.
Solos are fantastic, production is top notch.

I mean, aside from some of the gore lyrics (Seriously, a song about raping and killing someone? Ironically, that's one of the standouts on the album, so more power to them I guess?), this album is really good.

I haven't listened to much (if any, I can't remember) death metal this year, but I can't think of many albums from the genre topping this unless Gojira manages to release their EP this year.
Back to top Go down
Geo Geo Gep Gep
Bacon Bandit
Bacon Bandit

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 12:05 am

I have to add Umphrey's Mcgee to my list of favorite bands ever.

Number One.

And I only listened to one album.

fjkds;ajfkl;dsjal;sfa
Back to top Go down
Ganon1998
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Ganon1998

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 12:10 am

You've really been into jam and jazz bands lately, haven't you?
Back to top Go down
Geo Geo Gep Gep
Bacon Bandit
Bacon Bandit

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 12:31 am

Yeah. Super musician music lately.

Gonna get on amazon to get myself some Russian Circles and Pelican and a bunch of people have Umphrey's albums so I'm gonna take them from them.
Back to top Go down
Ganon1998
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Chicken Byproduct Lovers
Ganon1998

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 12:37 am

Also, can't wait for new Russian Circles.
RELEASE THE DAMN ALBUM ALRIGHT DAMMIT.
Back to top Go down
Geo Geo Gep Gep
Bacon Bandit
Bacon Bandit

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 3:46 pm

G'damn.

I want Last.fm to scrobble Grooveshark. :c
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mega Headbangers   Mega Headbangers - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mega Headbangers

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MB :: Discussion :: Music-